Barefoot runner, Mini Maraton for kids, new course record, success and joy. The 5th Nuuksio Classic was all this and a lot more.
– What a wonderful anniversary! Everyone is in high spirit and everything has been just perfect. Even the weather was ideal for running, says race director Terho Lahtinen with a big smile on his face in the finish area.
In five years, Nuuksio Classic has grown to one of the most important trail running events in Finland. This time organizers added a major side program including Trails in Motion trail running films, a ski touring presentation, race reports by runners, a hotel pakcage for the weekend and other activities that boost the atmosphere and build a strong community around the event.
– This year’s novelty was a 5,7km mini marathon for juniors. That was a big success. The fastest kids were so fast that we didn’t even have the finish line ready, laughs Lahtinen.
The inflatable finish arch was soon erected and a lot of big emotions were seen under it during the day. One of the finishers who draw extra attention was Pekka Parviainen who run the whole distance barefoot. A dangerous trend for shoe manufacturers…
– As you see, no cuts or blisters. I’ve been running barefoot for three years now, explains Parviainen. With the finish time 5.18.35, he completed his first marathon barefoot.
Jaana Leivo cashes the course record
Top runners raced hard as always but this time there was an extra goal: Just before the start, Terho Lahtinen promised a 200€ bonus for a new course record. In women’s class, Jaana Leivo seized the moment and beat Maija Oravamäki’s old record by about one minute with her time 3.55.24.
– I was suffering from cramps in the last km’s and though I had lost the chance to a course record. One km before finish I got great support from spectators, found some new energy and managed to nail it.
Leivo’s victory means also that she will very probably take home also the first place in Buff Trail Tour Finland. The final takes place on Oct 1st in Koli. Second place in Nuuksio went to Estonian Viivi-Anne Soots (4.17.05). Julia Jacobsson (4.23.59) was third.
On men’s marathon, last year’s winner Henri Ansio went after his own course record from 2015 but fell about 1,5min short with his time 3.09.35. Another double winner of Nuuksio, Janne Mononen was second (3.15.42) and orienteer Simo-Pekka Fincke was third (3.20.40).
– The best moment on a trail marathon is when your body gets warm and it’s easy to run. Between 10-20km, spectators are cheering and I feel like flying. That’s pure enjoyment. The last 10k is fighting one kilometer at a time, describes Ansio who will run Finnish Championship marathon on road in just three weeks.
Ansio is also going strong towards the overall victory of Buff Trail Tour Finland.
1. Henri Ansio 3:09:35
2. Janne Mononen 3:15:42
3. Simo-Pekka Fincke 3:20:40
1. Jaana Leivo 3:55:24
2. Viivi-Anne Soots, Viro 4:17:05
3. Julia Jacobsson 4:23:59
Buff Trail Tour Finland overall ranking
Henri Ansio 400,00 (4 events)
Janne Mononen 286,72 (3 events)
Tomi Halme 274,39 (3 events)
Jaana Leivo 400,00 (4 events)
Minna Leikas 308,07 (4 events)
Sanna Viitanen 225, 31 (4 events)